Four-year integrated dental curriculum from the academic year 2023 is initiated at Khyber Medical University (KMU) Peshawar.
This advanced educational plan will be executed in all public and private dental colleges of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa from the upcoming academic year.
This was decided in a significant level gathering held at KMU Peshawar, in which the chief of the multitude of public and private dental colleges of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and specialists from different disciplines were also present.
The gathering was led mutually by Special Adviser to Interim Chief Minister for Health Prof. Dr. Riaz Anwar and Vice Chancellor KMU Prof. Dr. Zia ul Haq.
At this event, Director IHPE&R Dr. Brekhna Jameel gave a comprehensive presentation about the arrangement plan for a four-year integrated dental curriculum in which different parts of the new advanced educational program were examined.
Tending to the gathering, Prof. Dr. Riaz Anwar valued the drive, focusing on the requirement for changes in the dental curriculum to accomplish high levels and enhance the quality of dental education.
He expressed that after the fruitful experience of the modular system in MBBS, with the execution of this advanced educational program in dental education, dental education will get a potential chance to foster on current lines.
Here’s an overview of what you could expect to find in a four-year integrated dental curriculum:
Premedical Years (Years One and Two):
- Basic Science Subjects: Anatomy, physiology, natural chemistry, and microbiological science courses to provide students with a fundamental understanding of the clinical sciences.
- Dental Sciences: In-depth study of dental anatomy, oral histology, and dental materials.
- Laboratory Preclinical Research Work: Active preparation in important dental methods, such as tooth design and reclamation on dental models.
Medical Years (3rd and 4th Years):
- Clinical Preparatory Training: Enhanced clinical contacts with real patients, such as performing dental tests, cleanings, and various dental systems.
- Oral Pathology: The study of oral diseases and disorders.
- Dental Specialist: Exposure to several dental specializations such as orthodontics, periodontics, endodontics, oral surgery, and pediatric dentistry.
- Patient Administration: Seminars on interpersonal skills, values, and patient care.
- Local Area Dentistry: determining ways to provide dental care to underprivileged communities.
- Morals and Impressive ability: Determining a dental specialist’s moral and legal obligations.
- Exercise the executives: Learn how to run a dentistry office, manage cash, and handle managerial responsibilities.
- Students may have the opportunity to rotate between numerous dental specialties in order to gain expertise in many areas of dentistry.
Research and Capstone Projects:
- A few projects may require students to direct research in a specific field of dentistry as well as complete a capstone project.